We (ChurchWesbite.org.za) run a blog and web site hosting service called ChurchWesbite.org.za built on the WordPress.org blogging platform, and would love for you to use it to advance the Christian God’s Kingdom on Earth. Our basic service is exactly that – basic – and yet sufficient enough for you to run a comprehensive and satisfying ministry website. We offer this service to you free. Outside of our basic service, we offer domain name registration at the applicable registration fee and charge a nominal administration fee for said registration. Our service is designed to give you as much control and ownership over what goes on your site as possible. However, be responsible in what you publish. In particular, make sure that none of the prohibited items listed below appear on your site or get linked to from your site (things like spam, viruses, or hate content).
As a .org.za registered website, we are bound by the .org.za registrar’s terms of service that stipulate that we (and by extension you) will not operate a for-profit endeavour from the .org.za domain name platform.
We provide free websites to evangelical Christian churches or ministries in South Africa, and so part of the terms of service is affirming the statement of faith.
Because we offer only a basic service, we always advise customers to use our free service as a linking platform to a WordPress.com hosted website. We ourselves do not charge a fee to link a domain name to WordPress.com, but they charge a domain linking fee of $13 per year (subject to change without notice). Although they offer their own domain name registration service, they cannot register .org.za or .co.za domain names, which we can. Using a WordPress.com linked website also saves you the hassle of regularly having to update your website templates or plug-ins, ensuring better security against hack attempts. Another key element to consider a WordPress.com linked website is that they have free backups and spam control (the spam control a big plus on its own).
The only downside to a WordPress.com linked website is that they do not allow you to upload MP3 files without purchasing a storage space upgrade. ChurchWebsite.org.za was established to overcome exactly this shortcoming on WordPress.com’s side. That said, their storage upgrade fee is still very reasonable and a worthwhile investment to ensure the ease of use and security that WordPress.com offers.
(Note, that as per the Creative Commons Sharealike licence that WordPress.com offers, these Terms of Service have been repurposed from their original Terms of Service (available here). As per their Terms of Service, we hereby too make the below Terms of Service available under a Creative Commons Sharealike license. This means that you’re more than welcome to steal it and repurpose it for your own use, just make sure to replace references to us with ones to you, and if you want they’d appreciate a link to WordPress.com somewhere on your site. WordPress.com has spent a lot of money and time on the below, and believe that other people shouldn’t need to do the same.)
Terms of Service Detail:
The following terms and conditions govern all use of the ChurchWebsite.org.za website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, Jetpack by WordPress.com (“Jetpack”), (taken together, the Website). The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on the ChurchWebsite.org.za Site (collectively, the “Agreement”).
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by ChurchWebsite.org.za, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
- Statement of Faith. Our goal as ChuchWebsite.org.a is to provide a free website solution to evangelical Christian churches and ministries in South Africa with the aim of promoting the Christian God’s Kingdom on Earth. In order to use this website and its services, you hererby affirm and adhere to the Statement on Faith as an evangelical Christian church, ministry or organisation.
- Your ChurchWebsite.org.za Account and Site. If you create a blog on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security and backups of your account and blog, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the blog. You must not describe or assign keywords to your blog in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and ChurchWebsite.org.za may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause liability. You must immediately notify ChurchWebsite.org.za of any unauthorized uses of your blog, your account or any other breaches of security. ChurchWebsite.org.za will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
- the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
- if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
- you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
- the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
- the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
- the Content is not pornographic, or indecent, or objectionable, does not contain threats or incite violence, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
- your blog is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
- your blog is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company. For example, your blog’s URL or name is not the name of a person other than yourself or company other than your own; and
- you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by ChurchWebsite.org.za or otherwise.
By submitting Content to ChurchWebsite.org.za for inclusion on your Website, you grant ChurchWebsite.org.za a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your blog. If you delete Content, ChurchWebsite.org.za will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.
Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, ChurchWebsite.org.za has the right (though not the obligation) to, in ChurchWebsite.org.za’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in ChurchWebsite.org.za’s reasonable opinion, violates any ChurchWebsite.org.za policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in ChurchWebsite.org.za’s sole discretion. ChurchWebsite.org.za will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
- Payment and Renewal.
- General Terms.
Optional paid services such as domain purchases are available on the Website (any such services, an “Upgrade”). By selecting an Upgrade you agree to pay ChurchWebsite.org.za the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on a pre-pay basis on the day you sign up for an Upgrade and will cover the use of that service for a monthly or annual subscription period as indicated. Upgrade fees are not refundable.
- Automatic Renewal.
Unless you notify ChurchWebsite.org.za before the end of the applicable subscription period that you want to cancel an Upgrade, your Upgrade subscription will automatically renew and you authorize us to collect the then-applicable annual or monthly subscription fee for such Upgrade (as well as any taxes) using any credit card or other payment mechanism we have on record for you. Upgrades can be canceled at any time by corresponding via email with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- General Terms.
- Responsibility of Website Visitors. ChurchWebsite.org.za has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, ChurchWebsite.org.za does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. ChurchWebsite.org.za disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which ChurchWebsite.org.za links, and that link to ChurchWebsite.org.za. ChurchWebsite.org.za does not have any control over those non- ChurchWebsite.org.za websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non- ChurchWebsite.org.za website or webpage, ChurchWebsite.org.za does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. ChurchWebsite.org.za disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non- ChurchWebsite.org.za websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As ChurchWebsite.org.za asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by WordPress.com violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify ChurchWebsite.org.za where we will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. ChurchWebsite.org.za will terminate a visitor’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of ChurchWebsite.org.za or others. In the case of such termination, ChurchWebsite.org.za will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to ChurchWebsite.org.za.
- Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from ChurchWebsite.org.za to you any ChurchWebsite.org.za or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with ChurchWebsite.org.za. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any ChurchWebsite.org.za or third-party trademarks.
- Advertisements. As ChurchWebsite.org.za is a free service supported by the donations of others, including businesses, ChurchWebsite.org.za reserves the right to display a link at the bottom of your blog, indicating such sponsorship.
- Attribution. As ChurchWebsite.org.za is powered by WordPress, ChurchWebsite.org.za (in conjunction with Automattic) reserves the right to display attribution links such as ‘Blog at WordPress.com,’ theme author, and font attribution in your blog footer or toolbar. Footer credits, the WordPress.com or WordPress.org toolbar, may not be altered or removed regardless of upgrades purchased.
- Friends of WP.com Themes. By activating a partner theme from the Friends of WP.com section of our themes directory, you agree to that partner’s terms of service. You can opt out of their terms of service at any time by de-activating a partner theme.
- Domain Names.
Under the .org.za registrar Terms of Service, we are required to confirm that the Website (including its sub-domains) is a non-profit endeavour and will not be used for profit making purposes. If you cannot agree to this not-for-profit requirement, then you are to make application for a personalised domain name that will then be linked to your personal blog and will be charged the applicable registration and or annual renewal fee. We do not charge for linking domain names to your blog and so the service remains essentially free.
- Non-South African.
If you are registering a non-South African domain name, using or transferring a previously registered domain name, you acknowledge and agree that use of the domain name is also subject to the policies of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (“ICANN”), including their Registration Rights and Responsibilities.
- South African.
If you are registering a South African .co.za domain name, using or transferring a previously registered domain name, you acknowledge and agree that use of the domain name is also subject to the policies of Uniforum SA.
- Changes. ChurchWesbite.org.za reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify or replace any part of this Agreement. It is your responsibility to check this Agreement periodically for changes. Your continued use of or access to the Website following the posting of any changes to this Agreement constitutes acceptance of those changes. ChurchWesbite.org.za may also, in the future, offer new services and/or features through the Website (including, the release of new tools and resources). Such new features and/or services shall be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Termination. ChurchWesbite.org.za may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your ChurchWesbite.org.za account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. ChurchWesbite.org.za with WordPress.org and WordPress.com, and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither ChurchWesbite.org.za nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event will ChurchWesbite.org.za, or its suppliers or licensors or owners, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to ChurchWesbite.org.za under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. ChurchWesbite.org.za shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless ChurchWesbite.org.za, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective owners, directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
- Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between ChurchWesbite.org.za and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of ChurchWesbite.org.za, or by the posting by ChurchWesbite.org.za of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of South Africa. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; ChurchWesbite.org.za may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.